Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Disconnect

First impressions. I don't know anything about this movie going in except that it is a thriller starring Jason Bateman who I find delightful. I've just left the theater about an hour ago (I had to drive home) and I have to say that is the best movie I've seen in a while. The disconnect was the from real life and the life on the internet. This was a movie that had 3 different stories that had bits that intermingled but mostly stood alone. All three story lines had me hooked from start to finish although the movie would have been much tidier if they had lost the third story line. I was interested at first with the third story line but I lost interest quiet quickly. That arc could have stood alone as its own movie but it just doesn't fit the tone of the other two stories we follow in the movie. In the first story we have a music lover who feels like he is on the outside looking in when a girl messages him and brings some happiness to him but is destined to be short lived as we know about  but he doesn't (tragic irony) the two friends who bring him up and slam him down. The second story is a family who has lost everything and is struggling to work through that together who get ripped off and their attempts to right that wrong. The third and least successful (in my opinion) story follows a lost kid who gets swept up in a criminals twisted way to make a quick buck and a reporter who is destined to tell his story while helping her career in the process. The movie is a captivating example of good story telling and wonderful acting. I am happy to say that I loved this movie and would suggest it to anyone who doesn't have a delicate sensibility. I will not be suggesting this one to mom and dad. All in all a joy to watch and one that although I am not there yet but I am confident would stand up to multiple views. At this point in this whole blogging thing I am not sure if I want to include ratings but I am leaning towards yes. I think a 5 point rating scale isn't right because there is a huge drop from 5 to 4 so I am going for a 10 point rating scale. I am unwilling almost always to give a 10 because things like Shindler's List and Sunset Blvd. get a 10 so don't feel bad for movies that rank a 8 or 9 because they are excellent (in my opinion). That being said I will rank this movie an 8 out of 10. I felt like I would enjoy it going in but not nearly this much. Great work Jason Bateman and the rest of the cast! Here are some links to other reviews and trailers. If you read this and I don't know why you would and you haven't seen this yet get off or on, whichever, your ass and watch this great movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment