Tuesday, June 18, 2013

After Earth

I wish I hadn’t looked at any reviews for this movie before I saw it, Adam Kempenaar from the podcast filmspotting says he never reads reviews before he sees a movie. It might be a good idea for me to do the same after the experience I had with After Earth. I read from multiple sources that this was a bad movie that the younger Smith ruined with his poor acting. I admit I had issues with his acting at different points during the movie but overall I thought he was effective and I definitely did not think that he ruined the movie. The first thing I think when I consider other peoples bad reviews for this movie is what were they expecting from this movie? The premise is Will Smith and his son get marooned on a future earth filled with dangerous animals that evolved to kill humans because we ruined the planet. I didn’t expect an Oscar contender from this movie. I expected a summer movie that was action packed and was a fun 90 to 120 minutes. That is exactly what I got from this movie. I think other reviews expected a little to much from this flick. This movie was very pleasant visually. The scenery was beautiful yet menacing and the animals were terrifying, just what you want in a movie like this. There really isn’t much else to say about this movie considering the story line was as thin as a feather. I enjoyed the movie and I wouldn’t bat an eye at watching it again on HBO or something. I would give this movie a 6 out of 10. Here is a link to the trailer and the rotten tomatoes reviews for this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment